Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Incredible Journey Home

The Surgeon said we could go home today. At first I toyed with staying another night, because of the inclement weather, no car, and no husband with a car. Eric and the kids are in Portland this weekend, and we weren't expecting to get out today!

I called my friend Bibi whose husband is a taxi driver. He had chains on his car and was willing to come and get me. Unfortunately, he never made it to the hospital, because his chains popped off his car and left him stranded on Capital Hill. I figured it would be about April by the time AAA arrived to help him.

The hospital staff was so gracious and tried calling around for a taxi, a medicab, ANYTHING that could get me home. The next taxi was available at around midnight tonight. CRAZY! The nurses told me that they'd get my room set up (again) and rip up the discharge papers.

Meanwhile, my knight in shining armor--Eric Showell--called the Mark and Tricia. Apparently Mark's actual words were, "FINALLY someone needs to be rescued." Born and reared in Wenatchee, Mark has few opportunities to show off his extreme snow driving skills.

He got us home safely. I am so grateful that I am home and my baby is healthy.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Glad you made it home after all that! Enjoy the peace and get some extra rest while you can. I hope everyone makes it home safely for the holiday.

Devin said...

Never a dull moment on the Eric and Sarah crazy reality show. Please note for future use that my Ford Escape and I were probably bored and looking for an excuse to go out in the snow at just about that time. Hope to see you and the family soon!